Statement of Purpose

Friday, May 31, 2013

Sample STATEMENT OF PURPOSE microelectronics 18

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE  microelectronics

My schooling and three and a half years of undergraduate studies in EE at the **** have made the choice of further study, for me, an obvious one. This should be attributed in part to the values that have been inculcated in me during my formative years in an educated middle class family background.
Beginning with a passing interest in EE, these years of in depth study have convinced me that my future lies in microelectronics. The challenges and possibilities for research in device, analog and digital circuit, and VLSI circuit design fascinate me. This I believe has come about through a sequentially structured introduction to this field through the courses:
Modern Physics,
Electronic Devices,
Analog Circuits,
Digital Circuits,
Integrated Circuit Design and Technology.
In addition, I have worked on a number of related projects. I have worked on MOS capacitor characterization under Prof. yyy using a quasi-static approach. My B.Tech seminar (home paper) dealt with Monte Carlo simulations of small Si MOSFETs. My guide was Prof. yyy of the EE Dept. of ****. I have undergone eight weeks of practical training in a Dept. of Electronics lab where I studied the theoretical and practical aspects of active and passive coupling of edge emitting semiconductor lasers to optical fibers. An LD-SM optical fiber module was made and experiments were carried out. In my senior year I presented a seminar on Noise in Semiconductor Devices under the Microelectronics Seminar Series at ****. My senior year B.Tech project (senior thesis) involves design of ultra low noise analog circuits. The final goal of the project is to design, with intent to fabricate, an ultra low noise integrated circuit operational amplifier. My B.Tech project work is progressing under the guidance of Prof. yyy of the EE Dept. of ***. I can quite confidently say that my abilities in circuit visualization, analysis, and design are unparalleled in my department. In the process of pursuing my interests in EE, my academic performance has been outstanding. I have been consistently ranked 2nd in EE out of 64 students, and 8th in *** out of 325 students. I was included in the director’s academic honor list for the academic years
1991-1992
1992-1993
My academic pursuits have not however, prevented from participating with interest in various extracurricular activities. I have taken part in various literary activities. I am a regular participant in elocution competitions and debating society meetings and have been the editor of the hostel magazine. These activities have led to the development of a multifaceted personality and have equipped me with strong interpersonal skills. This helps me to lead, as well as follow the leader when working as a team.
From where I stand now, I see myself engaged, in the long term, in a career devoted to active research in microelectronics. It is with this objective in mind that I want to pursue an M.S. at Stanford University. My ultimate degree objective would however be a Ph.D. In choosing Stanford University as the University of my Choice, I’ve looked carefully at the faculty and the available infrastructure.
The essence of university education lies in the success of the symbiotic relationship between the student, and his department. With your repute in the field of my choice, you do have a lot to offer me, and at the same time, I am confident of contributing meaningfully to the research endeavors at your University. It is with this in mind that I am looking forward to a long and rewarding relationship with you.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I would say that this sample statement of purpose, which is short and succinct. Its to the point and does not have sentences taken out of fantasy novels ad students looking for SOP for MBA and MS or any other course can use this as a sample to get idea bout preparing their own SOP.

    ReplyDelete

Followers